Tuesday, September 18, 2012

ARC Review: Two Week's Notice (Revivalists #2) by Rachel Caine

Forget fangs and claws.Make way for the Revivalists

Title: Two Week's Notice
Author: Rachel Caine
Series: Revivalist
Publisher: Allison and Busby
My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars.
Releases: 24th September, 2012

Bryn Davis is trying to cope being dead and coming back. she is running her Mortutaory, running a support group for Returne addicts and trying to figure out a relationship with the Patrick MacCallister. So, when members of her support group start dying one by one and the FBI sending her to do random jobs she can't help but think there may be something else going on entirely. Is it Pharamadene again, the government or perhaps something even bigger which may just be too much for Bryn.


Bryn has now become one of my favourite heroines. I loved her in this book. She was is so much more relatable in this than she was in Working Stiff.She is still coping with what happened to her since Pharmadene went down. She has been picking pieces of her life and trying to make a to life as normal life as possible. I have to give her the credit for being the tough fighter she is. No matter was is thrown at her she doesn't cry, whinge or even try to run away from it. She know she may have a gruesome end but she is fighting her way through. She is someone with strength of character which I loved to see. I always liked my heroines strong with a bit of personality thrown in and Bryn has them both. Somehow, I found her a lot more relatable than the last book. It is clear that what she went through is clearly life altering(quite literally) but now it hits her full force. The wrongness of it all, the wrongness that was her, starts to change her. I feel we will get to she more development in her character as the series goes on.

"The first day I met you I thought you were complicated and dangerous. No matter how far I go with you, it seems there's more to find...”


If you thought Patrick McCallister was good in the first one, he is brilliant in this. He was so sweet, loving and caring. It was clear what he thought about Bryn and how much her well-being mattered to her. But don't be fooled by his soft ways because he is a killer inside and as easily he will be charming (in his own way) he will snap your neck in the next. I love how he has this two sides to him one in which he is the perfect gentleman and the other where he puts on his military facade complete with body armour, guns and grenades and of course his guarded expression. The tender moments between him and Bryn were heart melting and when he had his guard down around Bryn.....all I can say I had been fanning myself while reading it. For those, rooting for this couple, I'll say that your wait is rewarded. There is progress between them and that's all I can say.

"I like women who take control,'" he said, as his lips came close again, but didn't touch. 'I also like women who know when to give it up.”


The plot simply blew my mind. The story line for this instalment of Revivalist contains non stop action. The scenes are really well written and it was so easy to imagine each fight scene. The anticipation and thrill had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Each action/fight scene was better and tenser than before which took your breath away. But as soon as you come up for air, Caine hits you with another plot twist that you are left breathless. The mystery was really well done and I could not have guessed who the villain was till it was revealed.

Once in a while I have come across some truly hideous, evil villains who have you questing the limits of human cruelty. Two Week's Notice introduced me on such villain was not only twisted but quite frankly, barking mad. I will not say much as I don't want to give away spoilers some scenes were gruesome and bone- chilling. All I can say is that, I will never think a spoon to be innocent ever again.

The side characters were awesome as well. I loved Joe Fideli's protectiveness for Bryn, Liam's familiarity, and Manny's craziness. Each and every one of them has been written with so much thought that each one of them have a story behind them.


"She had no idea what drew him to to her with such constant and consistent force, but it was always there,that buried attraction that only required a moment's slip of control to surface. I was wildly sexy, but more than the pure attraction of him there was a kind of beautiful strength to Patrick that she couldn't begin to define.”


This Series most certainly has taken a more darker note and I'm not sure where Caine is planning to take it. It seems to me that Bryn's situation is getting worse and worse with no end in sight. Will she rot away alive with no one to save her? She has been struggling desperately against all odds to survive.The whole team is fighting a losing battle where friends are turning out to be enemies and enemies unexpected allies.

Words may not be enough to convey how much I loved this book. Was it the 'real heroine Bryn or the blossoming romance between her and Patrick. Maybe it as the twists and turns that Caine wrote in the plot or maybe the fact that this series seems to be getting darker and grittier by every book. I'm not sure what is going to happen next as it seems Byrn is being pit against powers which are getting bigger and bidder.

Forget vampires, werewolves, fangs and claws, explore to the world of guns, drugs and evil corporations. Two Week's notice satisfies all your craving for a mind blowing, heart thumping Urban fantasy with a kick of Sci Fi with a heroine who will touch your heart strings and a romance which is believable. Meet butlers who shoot guns, dish washing military men and armoured car driving crazy scientist. This book was one of the best Urban Fantasy I have read this year and I'm on pins on needles waiting for the Terminated, the next Revivalist novel.

Releases on 24th of September in the U.K

Read my review for the first book in the Revivalist series, Working Stiff here
Advance copy provided by Allison and Busby.





1 comments:

Unknown on September 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM said...

I didn't like the first one much but maybe this is one of those series that has a slow start. I didn't like Fever and Greywalker when I first started reading the series but it built up pretty well. Hopefully this is one of those.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting